Sunday, November 30, 2008

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

(by Alicia)
Thanksgiving 2008. Our first holiday together as married people. It was FUN. It worked out that all the kids were away with their other families so Homer and I got to spend 5 days kid-free. It felt like we were actual newlyweds - no schedules, no obligations, doing what we wanted, when we wanted. Yes, we missed our kids, but having our first major holiday be one that we got to spend alone, just talking, laughing and doing normal, adult around the house things was the perfect way to spend it.

We did some shopping and went out to eat, watched movies, caught up on our favorite TV shows online and more. I had SUCH a blast.

On Tuesday, we took Eldon into Salt Lake City so he could fly to California to be with the other side of his family and after that, Homer and I drove around the city looking for a watch repair shop that ended up being torn down. We decided to grab some dinner at Red Rock Brewing Co. I had schnitzel. It was so great. I've always wanted to try it, After that, we headed home and relaxed until bedtime.

The movie "Australia" was coming out the next day, Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving and I was pestering Homer to go and see it. He was … non-committal. So on Wednesday, we decided to use a gift card we had gotten as a wedding gift to go out to eat at a restaurant called "Ruby River" - voted best steakhouse in Utah, six years running…. And they did NOT disappoint. I ate so much that I had to unbuckle my belt and unbutton my pants at the table AND I refused dessert. Their food was outstanding and we were FULL. I want to go there again and not eat as much. Steak only. Yum.

After dinner, we were heading back home and Homer was taking a … roundabout way. I was chatting on the phone when we pulled into the mall. It was kind of late, but I had been wanting to do some kid-free Christmas shopping so I assumed that's why we were there. We walked in and went toward the movie theater. I looked at Homer, confused. "Why are we here?" He looked soooo nonchalant, of course knowing he was about to make my night. He said nothing and simply pointed at the 'Australia' poster.

I almost squealed. We didn't even have to buy tickets. He had bought them online earlier in the day, all the while rolling his eyes and saying he didn't want to see it. So, we bought candy and settled in to watch. Although I'm pretty sure he was completely bored, because he mentioned it once or twice, he was a trooper and didn't doze off once, while I was sitting with rapt attention. I really enjoyed it and he was so thoughtful and sweet to surprise me.

We were out LATE with the movie. It got out around 1am, so we slept in on Thanksgiving, which was a wonderful, rare treat. We lounged around and then got up to start the Thanksgiving traditions.

I cleaned the house and got some much-needed decorating done while Homer cooked the entire meal - start to finish. Turkey. Green bean casserole. Sweet potatoes - everything was great. The table was all decked out with a table cloth and place mats and the works. My mother always told me to marry a man who could cook and well, DONE. :) We toasted, gave thanks, took some pictures and ate. It was great to be able to just enjoy a nice meal together and talk and laugh. Then… football time.

Even though I don't particularly like sports, there's something about turkey and the sound of sports on TV that makes me want to fall immediately asleep. We laid out on the floor and turned on the Cowboys (Homer's favorite team) game. I asked a few questions about the downs, which encouraged Homer and then… well, I got up and left to read a book, which discouraged him. I'm trying to be a good, wifely companion to him and learn about football, but it’s a slow process because Alicia is to football as a fish is to a 4-wheeler. Asking two questions was all I could muster that day. I loved the whole 'first Thanksgiving' thing, though. I couldn't have thought of any better way to spend it.

Friday was shopping. Black Friday. We braved it and it wasn't bad at all. We actually got some really, really good deals on things for Christmas for the kids and for ourselves. Friday night - our current favorite past time - catching up on 'Arrested Development' online. We giggle like little kids when we watch that show.

On Saturday, we had to head into Salt Lake to pick up Eldon so we went to the new, trendy spot to shop, "The Gateway" and walked around and did some more shopping and grabbed a late lunch and some fudge at the candy store. Soon, Eldon was home and we were so glad to see him. He was tired and suddenly we were no longer responsibility-free newlyweds. Back to reality.

So, our first Thanksgiving was perfect and fun and we got to be alone and we had a blast just being together as we always do. Such a mounting pile of things to be thankful, I'm going to start making a list now for next year so I don't forget. :)

No comments: